Monday 18 February 2013

Blogging Isn't Easy Like I Thought

I never know what to write about with these things.  Most of the ones i've attempted to start have sort of run aground. I blogged for uni but it got all heavy and technical. I attempted Tumblr but I couldn't get past all the Supernatural/Doctor Who/True Blood GIFs, or inspirational quotes pasted over a background of a suitably heavily demonstrative inspirational picture.


An overexposed feather trying to break free from a jam jar does not make it any less shameful that my biggest achievement was scraping yogurt from the front of my jumper before it set and went all crusty.

In order to actually write something worthwhile, that I would stick with, I had to then decide what I would ACTUALLY write about. Short of choosing a cool username this is the hardest part. I tried to think about what's popular, because as everyone knows, hitching onto what's popular makes you popular by association. Everyone likes style blogs right? Yes... but there are far better people who know more about that kind of thing than me. I repeat the point I made up there about yogurt jumper. I don't judge clothes by what looks good. I tend to judge them by them smelling good, i.e. when they are picked up from the clothes pile where my floor used to be. I know about films. Watching them and such, talking about them, telling people why they're wrong about them when they dislike ones I like. I know about what I get up to in my own life and while I don't know exactly what all of my thoughts mean, they make more sense (to me at least) if I have somewhere to brain dump. So I might not always be the most coherent and will probably use alot of half sentences starting with 'and'. Or 'so'.

My other biggest obstacle was my fear of no one ever wanting to read anything ever. The default setting in my head is that of awkward teenager giving a presentation in class. After thinking that one over for a while, half writing posts and deleting them or saving nonsensical drafts full of spelling mistakes, I decided I kind of didn't care (although I do. It looks cooler if I say that I don't). At the very least, it's something to keep me occupied in between applying for all the jobs ever. Apparently a good old CV and covering letter of "hello, I'm a graduate, you know you want me" just isn't enough anymore, but it's a bit of a brain drain and a total chore to boot.

So there we have it, a wee... I don't know, ice breaker? It's a start anyway. Blogging about blogging is a hard one to explain. Maybe I should've just jumped on the Instawagon instead... if only I was up in time to take pictures of my lunch at actual lunchtime.

2 comments:

  1. Ada you are my favourite human being ever. ACTUALLY DYING x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why cheers pal. I literally didn't even bother to proof read. This may be a downfall but I'll always have beginners' luck!

    x

    ReplyDelete